A headache is a pain that many of us experience on a regular basis. There are many different types of headaches; some include:
- Tension headaches:They are the most common among teens and adults and are also known as stress headaches. When experiencing tension headaches, the pain varies from mild to moderate and the pain is inconsistent.
- How to avoid these types of headaches: limit stress and try incorporating a daily yoga and meditation routine.
- Migraines:More than 3 million people suffer from migraine headaches per year. These types of headaches are more intense, and the discomfort is typically described as pounding or throbbing. The duration can vary from 4 hours to 3 days; however these headaches usually come back a few times throughout the month. Other symptoms felt with migraines include: appetite loss, nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light, noise, or smells. Many children also get migraines, and it has serious side effects. Some symptoms include dizziness, blurry vision, nausea, vomiting, fever, and temporary face discoloration.
- How to avoid these types of headaches: Watch what you are eating, as many migraines are triggered by certain foods. Everyone’s body is different, which means that what triggers a migraine for one person could give another person energy, and not affect them in any negative way. Therefore, keep a log of when you are experiencing the pain and what you have eaten throughout the day.
- Rebound headaches: Many people are unaware about these type of headaches. They are triggered by overuse of medications. Becoming aware of the side effects of medication usage is important, because many times medications cause the symptoms to become worse or they can trigger new issues within the body.
- How to avoid these types of headaches: Only take your medication as prescribed by your medical doctor. Do not take more than the recommended dosage and do not take medication unless needed. Over the counter pain relievers help with occasional headaches. However, if taken long term or more than a few days of the week, rebound headaches can occur. Therefore, take a break from these medications if you start to experience rebound headaches.
- Cluster headaches:The name comes from the headaches occurring in groups and last from months then go away and come back for a certain period. Luckily, these are the least common types of headaches, because when experiencing this excruciating pain, most people are unable to sit still and feel as if they are under attack. The pain varies from being consistent to throbbing, but is always very intense. The headaches usually happen during the same time, and typically occur during season changes. Therefore, get mistaken as caused by allergies. However, the cause is yet to be determined.
- How to get rid of cluster headaches: Seek medical help, as inhaled oxygen, injected medications, and alternative medications may help.
- Sinus headaches:Sinus headaches are caused from a buildup of pressure occurring from an allergic reaction that will create pain that feels like a headache. Along with other sinus or flu-like symptoms, the pain worsens with movement or strain.
- How to avoid these types of headaches: Take prescribed allergy mediation and avoid any possible allergens. Once the allergic reaction decreases, the pain from the headache will as well.
There are certain steps to take for any type of headaches, as incorporating healthy habits creates a healthy lifestyle for any human being.
- Drink plenty of water. The recommended amount of water intake is half of your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds; your recommended water intake is 75 ounces of water.
- DO NOT forget to get your chiropractic manipulation. You would be surprised at how much better you would feel once you start getting your adjustments. Say goodbye to your headaches!
- Maintain a healthy diet, and choose foods that increase wellness to avoid inflammation. Remove sugar and any artificial sweeteners!
- Reduce alcohol intake.
- Incorporate exercise, yoga, and meditation in your weekly routine.
***We have a patient named Diana who shared how her life has improved by coming into Synergy and getting her routine chiropractic adjustments! “For the past two years, I have been suffering from terrible headaches. They occur 3-4 times a month. In May of 2016, I visited Synergy Integrated Medical Center. It has been five months since I started treatment with the Doctor, and for the past two months, I have not had a headache at all. I love the way everyone in the office is involved in the patients care. They are all caring and supportive. They are a big family and right away, they make you feel that you are part of it. Thank you for all of your help!”
Call us at 302-777-0778 to schedule an appointment and start the process to feeling better!